Today I'm sharing a full list of all the basic sewing supplies beginners will need, plus some of my favorite supplies which help make project construction a whole lot easier. Click below to download a the PDF list, which you can keep handy in your sewing space, or take with you on your next shopping trip!
Aside from the sewing machine, beginners are going to need some supplies (which can add up quickly), but I’ve scaled back the list to the bare essentials you’ll need on hand. Then, all the other notions can be purchased when they’re needed for a specific project.
ESSENTIAL NOTIONS FOR BEGINNERS
- Sewing clips
- Fabric scissors (because normal scissors aren’t sharp enough for fabric)
- Ruler (I recommend a 6" by 24" for rotary cutting and a 3" by 12" for measuring and smaller cutting)
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Pressing mat
- A variety of marking tools such as chalk and water soluble or air erasable markers
- Quality thread (which I recommend polyester since it’s very durable)
- Extra bobbins for your machine
- Seam ripper
- Double-sided basting tape
- Sewing machine needles
BONUS HELPFUL SUPPLIES
I’ve actually put together a whole list of notions I use all the time for sewing and put them in one link below. So grab all of those items and you’ll be good to go!
If you have further questions about how to use notions, ask below in the comments and perhaps I’ll even create some more videos!
30 Day Sewing Challenge Schedule
Follow along each day, or watch the segments that interest you the most. Enjoy!
- Day 1: Learn to Sew Introduction
- Day 2: Basic Sewing Terminology
- Day 3: Sewing Supplies for Beginners
- Day 4: Sewing Machine Overview
- Day 5: How to Thread a Sewing Machine
- Day 6: How to Wind a Bobbin
- Day 7: How to Change Presser Feet
- Day 8: How to Change a Needle
- Day 9: How to Sew a Straight Stitch
- Day 10: How to Choose Fabrics
- Day 11: How to Prepare Fabrics
- Day 12: How to Read Sewing Patterns
- Day 13: How to Cut Fabric for Patterns
- Day 14: DIY Checkerboard Coasters
- Day 15: DIY Fabric Napkins
- Day 16: DIY Napkin Rings
- Day 17-20: Laptop or Tablet Sleeve
- Day 21-24: Drawstring Backpack
- Day 25-28: Hanging Closet Organizer