We've been getting creative with faux leather and purse hardware. This tutorial is meant to encourage you to look at purse hardware in a new way, while making a piece of jewelry that you can actually see yourself wearing!
Making jewelry is a great way to use up odds and ends of faux leather and purse hardware from your stash, or grab bag hardware. Think of new ways to use hooks, clasps, rings, chain, and even combine them with fabric such as cork fabric and faux leather!
SUPPLIES & TOOLS
- (1) 47" Strap Chain
- (1) Precut Floral Design
- (2) Precut Circles
- (1) 1/2" Jump Rings
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Wire Cutters
- Apply a thin layer of hot glue to the wrong side of the floral design. With right sides up, center the design on one circle and press down to adhere in place.
- Apply a thin layer of hot glue to the wrong side of one cirlce. With right sides together, center the circle on the remaining circle, aligning the top holes, and press down to adhere in place.
- Open the jump ring and add the assembled pendant onto the jump ring. Close the jump ring.
- Thread the strap chain through the jump ring and test the length of the necklace around your neck. If necessary, cut the strap chain to your desired length. Then, open the jump ring connecting the clasp and the chain from the end you cut off, and reattach the jump ring to the end of the necklace chain.
- Open and close jump rings by twisting the ring, not by pulling the ends apart. This will prevent the shape of the jump ring from distorting, and makes it easier to line the ends up again.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will try your hand at making jewelry with faux leather and purse hardware! Share your creations in our Facebook Group and with #sallietomatohardware