Let's get creative with purse hardware and make some unique jewelry! This tutorial is meant to encourage you to look at purse hardware in a new way, while making a piece of jewelry that you can actually see yourself wearing!
Making jewelry is a great way to use up odds and ends of purse hardware from your stash, or grab bag hardware. Think of new ways to use hooks, clasps, rings, chain, and even combine them with fabric such as cork fabric and faux leather!
Today's project features Strap Chain and O-Rings to make an elegant, industrial-style necklace. Let's get started!
SUPPLIES & TOOLS
- (1) 47" Strap Chain
- (3) 1-1/2" O-Rings
- (6) 1/2" Jump Rings
- Wire Cutters
- Cut the Strap Chain into the following pieces: (2) 7" pieces including clasp and (4) 6" pieces.
- Starting with one 7" piece of chain, open the jump ring connecting the clasp and chain. Add two 6" pieces of chain onto the jump ring. Close the jump ring. Repeat for the remaining 7" piece and two 6" pieces of chain.
- Attach one 1/2" jump ring to the three loose ends of chain. Leave the jump ring open. Attach one 1-1/2" o-ring to each open jump ring. Close the jump rings.
- Connect the remaining o-ring with four jump rings as shown.
- Open and close jump rings by twisting the ring, not by pulling the ends apart. This will prevent the shape of the jump ring from distorting, and makes it easier to line the ends up again.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will try your hand at making jewelry with purse hardware! Share your creations in our Facebook Group and with #sallietomatohardware.
This necklace looks beautiful and fun! You are so creative and great at giving directions!! Keep it up!
Could you show the necklaces in the kit in the different colors? I’m not sure which color way to buy.
I love your jewelry making email today. My 8 year old granddaughter loves to make jewelry. I’m thinking this is something we could do together…Looking at the leather bracelets, do you think there is enough space on ends to cut off to fit girls wrist? thanks
Leave a comment